Thursday, February 7, 2013

Connect the Dots From Tunisia to Egypt: Incitement of violence against Egypt's opposition condemned

A religious edict sanctioning death for National Salvation Front opposition members sparks outrage and controversy; Islamists join calls for action against incitement


Ahram Online , Thursday 7 Feb 2013

"Following controversial statements by an Al-Azhar professor claiming the opposition should be punished by death for attempting to bring down a leader elected by the public, a large number of Egyptians — Islamists and non-Islamists alike — have expressed their condemnation.


Mahmoud Shaaban, an Al-Azhar professor who also hosts a television show on the Islamic satellite Al-Hafez channel, made the statements, considered a religious fatwa, last week directly targeted at National Salvation Front (NSF) leaders Mohamed ElBaradei and Hamdeen Sabbahi, granting a green light for their killing.

Another Islamic, ultraconservative cleric, Wagdi Ghoneim, echoed Shaaban's statements by calling on all Muslims to "kill the thugs, criminals, and thieves who burn the country."
In response, ElBaradei on his official Twitter account Wednesday criticised the government for its silence over the statements made against him......"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good day! I could have sworn I've been to this blog before but after reading through some of the post I realized it's new to
me. Nonetheless, I'm definitely glad I found it and I'll be book-marking and checking back frequently!
My page :: wonder

Anonymous said...

My coder is trying to convince me to move to .net from PHP.
I have always disliked the idea because of the expenses.
But he's tryiong none the less. I've been using Movable-type on a number of websites for about a year and am nervous about switching to another platform.
I have heard great things about blogengine.

net. Is there a way I can transfer all my wordpress
content into it? Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated!


Here is my blog post ... airline